Gone are the days when a meeting needed to be ‘in person’. Thanks to technology, we can now meet together from anywhere. You can connect with friends, colleagues and clients from home, on the train, or even when you’re on a treadmill! Virtual meetings have never been easier.
Thanks to video conferencing platforms like Zoom, you also have a new space for vegan advocacy too.
Millions upon millions of us are using Zoom (and Google Hangouts, Microsoft Teams, Skype etc) to meet and talk from our personal spaces.
Not all of us have a home office, let alone an insta-worthy room. We’re more likely to be setting up in our kitchen or on the couch in the lounge room room.
Luckily, Zoom has a feature to hide our messy, private or just plain boring surroundings. It’s called ‘virtual backgrounds’, and it’s where your can use your video conferencing to spread compassion and great health through vegan messages.
In this article, we will explain how you can set up your Zoom virtual background and pass on some simple tips and tricks to make your meetings spread fun and boost the vegan movement while you’re working from home.
What is vegan advocacy and outreach?
Vegan advocacy and outreach efforts encourage others to reduce animal suffering through the promotion of vegan diet and other choices. Vegan message methods include raising awareness about the benefits of plant-based living for animals, the environment, health, humanity, and climate change.
What is Zoom?
Zoom is a video and audio conferencing service you can use to meet virtually with other people. You can host meetings with up to 100 participants using their free subscription, and your virtual gatherings can be recorded for future viewing.
When you join a video conference or audio meeting via a webcam or phone, you’re joining a ‘Zoom meeting’. You may also hear about ‘Zoom rooms’. These are physical hardware systems that can be installed into conference rooms so people can schedule and launch Zoom meetings in the room. They require a paid subscription.)
It’s easy to download Zoom Client for meetings here.
You’ll find a long list of technical advice for using virtual backgrounds with PC, Mac, iOS and Linux devices in Zoom’s help centre. But, if your system isn’t old, you shouldn’t have any trouble setting up image and video backgrounds for Zoom.
How to add a virtual background during a Zoom meeting
It’s easy! Click the pop-up menu next to the ‘Stop Video’ option at the bottom of the video window, then select ‘Choose Virtual Background’. You’ll then see your virtual background settings where you can add your background.
Zoom virtual background best practices
Prepare your (IRL) background
- Zoom recommends using a solid-color backdrop with a high-contrast (e.g. a green screen) to achieve the best virtual background effect. No matter what you use, go for a non-reflective background (i.e. matt finish).
- Make sure the surface of your background is close to you.
- Plan your cloting so you’re not wearing the same colour as your IRL background or your virtual background.
- Make sure you clean any smudges off your camera lense and remove any obstructions.
- Use the best camera you can (e.g. an external webcam) because higher quality cameras tend to result in a better virtual backgrouns.
- Aim for uniform lighting, without bright or dark spots. And, don’t go too bright or dim.
- Avoid sitting with the window behind you!
- You’ll show up best if you have a lamp in front of you (e.g. a LED ring light).
- Use high-quality, high-resolution images.
- Make sure your background’s vegan message is located close to one of the edges of the image or video, not in the middle, so your head doesn’t block the words!
- Background images with an aspect ratio of 16:9 and a minimum resolution of 1280 x 720 pixels are recommended by Zoom.
- If you’re going to use a background video (MP4 or MOV file), Zoom recommends a minimum resolution of 480 x 360 pixels (360p) and a maximum resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels (1080p).
- Your vegan message will include text, so uncheck the ‘mirror my video’ option in your video settings.
An easy and quick way to set up vegan messages within your Zoom background is to use one of our backgrounds. You can select from a range of professionally designed Zoom virtual background image and Zoom virtual background video options.
Each background provides a tactful little message to encourage people to go vegan, and your purchase helps keep this site running.
Now, you’re ready to join the movement and add vegan advocacy to your Zoom background today. It really is easy!